In our front yard, we have a very old wrought iron fence that keeps you from driving off the driveway into the front court yard. Michael and I have had a lot of discussions about replacing it or preserving it. I did lots of research about removing it and hauling it somewhere. There are places that will sand coat and reseal the fence or we could have a new plain frence built.
I think this fence is very cool and I did not want to replace it with a standard fence. It is hard to see here but it is very rusted and big chips fall off it if you touch it. It is also very heavy and it would be hard to take it in pieces somewhere to have it restored. I learned that you could sandblast it and paint it with a special sealer and paint. So I rented a sandblaster, and when Marcus and Tal were home at Christmas and Michael was off we all worked on the fence...it was a very cold day.
Here is Tal standing on the driveway working on the fence. Pieces of metal were flying everywhere, so the face mask was necessary.
Michael is standing on the extra pieces that we took down in the back yard.
Here is what it looked like after we sand blasted. It began to rust by the end of the day.
Because of all the water and sand we were not able to paint it on the same day that we sandblasted it. I had to paint it the next day (without the boys). Here is what it looked like after it was painted. I ended up getting help from the painter because it was taking forever to hand paint all this fence.
It looks really nice. I am glad we did not replace it. Unfortunately , we ended up shattering a glass door (see the one in the back of this photo). Somehow we broke it with the pressure washer, I guess. It was not broken when we taped up the windows and doors and when we untaped them it was shattered!!!








No comments:
Post a Comment